So yesterday I go on the Lord of the Rings Online website for the heck of it. I was following that game pretty closely right up until it launched, then I played the beta, was bored out of my mind, and passed it off with a definitive "meh." Yesterday I thought, "You know, maybe they're doing something new with the game now, they've had a year to work on it."
Turns out they are doing something: They're selling the game for ten bucks. For that, you get the full game and get to play for a month. Also, the monthly price has fallen from $15 to $9.99.
So I bought it. I know, I know, I was just talking about how heavy I was into City of Heroes. You know what? I still am. I'm not giving that up, and I'm still playing EQ on Wednesdays with my friends, believe it or not.
I didn't drop the money on the game honestly believing that I'd be sucked into it. MMOs have a hard time doing that to me anymore. It was just... you know, *ten bucks.* Why not? At these prices I'll take the plunge. If I feel guilty later I'll skip my coffee for a few days. I'd even be willing to throw down for Jess, Josh, and Randi so they could try it with me. I could do that and *still* not be paying as much as I would for a normal game off the rack at Gamestop.
(Actually, I wouldn't even need to do that, come to think of it. They've got a free trial of the game rolling right now. Hmm.)
In other news, work is going exceedingly well. It seems at the moment, here in the office, I can do no wrong. Go me.
Anyway, lunch is over. Will write more later.
30 June 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'll watch you play it a bit and if I see they've changed those gross animations and spiced up the adventuring, I'll bite.
Why can't a fantasy game be made in the vein of City of Heroes?
1. Deep character customization centered on ensembles rather than relying on armor/weapons
OK, you could argue that slotting in enhancements isn't "realistic". Well, neither is carrying a claymore in a knapsack or wearing hotpants and expecting to NOT be laughed at seconds before one's legs are hacked off.
2. Quick and easy missions
I'd rather have episodic heroic/villainous acts without fetching items mindlessly or playing courier. You could play off the concept of the knight errant or the roving scholar. No more waiting on drops. If you need it, you HAVE it by the end of the instanced zone.
3. The Power Pools System
None of this restrictively delineated class nonsense with the same old D&D skills. CoH blends both worlds and allows the player to create a combination that suits him best.
Oh, and respecs!
Also: you begin with impressive abilities that never stop being useful. None of this training echelons of the SAME STUPID SKILL. For money dollars.
Guilds with meaning, tangible rewards from day one
Want a guild? Open one instantly. No charter, no signatures, no commitments. Oh, and you get a free base and some funds to fancy it up. Oh, and you can set up the rooms in whatever order your grid allows. Oh, and playing as a team nets you more rewards. Imagine a guild that gifts its members with more than a lousy tabard.
And your base? It has all kinds of awesome, useful stuff in it. It actually functions AS a base of operations and not just a hang out. Fancy THAT!
4. Good physics
I don't know why, most fantasy games have awful physics, if any at all. I want a dynamic fantasy game, dangit!
A girl can dream, though. A girl can dream.
Wow. Did I ever screw up the numbering system there! /cackle
Clever, love. Clever. :P
Who's trying to be clever? I seriously want a fantasy-based game with sci-fi game sensibilities!
Post a Comment